Last Updated: 7/7/2022
About This Statement
HEARING OUT LOUD LLC (“Hearing Out Loud”, “we” or “us” or “our”) wants to make sure you understand how we collect and use personal information when you provide it to us.
Unless the context requires a different interpretation: when we refer to the “Site” we’re talking collectively about https://www.hearingoutloud.net, and all related subdomains and mobile applications. Individually and collectively, the Site, its content, and our products and services shall be referred to as the “Services”).
This Privacy Statement does not supersede or affect the terms of any statement or agreement between you and any third party (for example, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Stripe, PayPal, Shopify, and other parties with whom you share your personal information). Hearing Out Loud is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites or vendors. Please make sure that you read and understand the terms of any privacy statements that you enter into with parties other than Hearing Out Loud. Those statements – and not this Statement – explain how your personal information is used by such other parties.
This Statement does not apply to any information you may provide to us through other means; for example, at a live event, via mail, or via telephone. Likewise, this Statement does not apply to information collected directly or indirectly by our third party service providers.
We are considered a “data controller” only if you provide your information directly to us, e.g., by visiting the Site, requesting information, accessing Services, or otherwise communicating directly with us.
If there’s anything about this Privacy Statement you do not understand, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agreement to Privacy Statement
YOUR USE AND ACCESS TO THE SITE AND OUR SERVICES IS CONDITIONED UPON YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT. BY USING OR ACCESSING ANY SERVICES YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT, AS IT MAY BE AMENDED FROM TIME TO TIME. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT, PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS ANY SERVICES. PLEASE PRINT A COPY OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR YOUR RECORDS.
We use Shopify to power our online store. Shopify’s privacy statement appears here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
Changes to this Statement
The legal landscape governing privacy and data security changes rapidly and frequently. Accordingly, we are likely to change this Privacy Statement from time to time. When this happens, we will revise the “Last Updated” date on this page. We will not reduce or eliminate any of our material obligations under this Privacy Statement without your implied or explicit consent. We encourage you to review this page periodically for the latest information on our privacy practices.
Once we post changes to this Statement, the updated version will govern in all respects and circumstances, and for all purposes, regardless of when you interacted with the Site or availed yourself of Services. If by law, regulation or contractual obligation you are required to receive advance notice of Privacy Statement changes, please contact us at email@example.com to arrange for advance notice.
What Type Of Information Do We Collect?
The nature of the personal information we collect and how we use it depends on the context in which we collect the information.
Information you provide directly to us.
We collect the personal information that you provide to us when you express interest in our Services or create an account. The personal information we collect depends on the nature and context of your interaction with us and our Services. Such information can include:
- Your name
- Your email address(es)
- Your year of birth
- Your preferred pronouns
- Job title/Role/Profession
- Financial information
- Social media account information
- Information you supply in chat and support discussions
We use the information collected to provide and improve our Services and to analyze usage information for sales and marketing purposes. We also use the information collected to communicate with you and to provide you with the content, information, and Services you have requested.
Information Automatically Collected.
We will have access to, and we will collect, information regarding your product categories of interest, purchasing activities and history.
We may collect device and usage information when you access and use our Services, including information that your browser sends when you are using it. This data may include your unique device identifier, IP address, location, your browser type and configuration, the date and time of your use of the Service and cookie data.
Information from Other Sources
We sometimes supplement the information that we collect with information from other sources. Such outside information may include (but is not limited to) updated delivery and address information from carriers or third parties; page-view information; credit card declination notices; search term and search result information; and Services usage.
If you access the Site or any Service through a social media platform, we will have access to certain information from that platform, such as your name, account information, and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media platform.
We may use third parties to provide measurement and analytic services, as well as targeted advertising. You can find more information on Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. You can learn more about targeted advertising, its benefits and your choices by going to the Digital Advertising Alliance site at http://www.aboutads.info/consumers. Members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) allow you to limit targeted advertising by using an opt-out tool available on the NAI’s website and the DAA’s website.
We do not knowingly collect any information from people under the age of 18. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under 13 without proper consent. This will allow us to delete such information as soon as possible.
How Do We Use The Information We Collect?
We may use your information, by way of example:
- To communicate with you about the Services.
- To respond to your inquires.
- To inform you about changes to Services or new Services.
- To inform you about changes to our terms and policies.
- To ask you to participate in surveys or testimonials about the Services.
- To send you marketing and promotional communications from us and/or from our third party marketing associates, including the delivery of advertising personalized to you based on your interests.
- To communicate with third parties whose information you supplied to us.
- To respond to legal requests and to prevent harm.
- For other business purposes such as (but not limited to) data analysis; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns; and to evaluate and improve our Services.
In addition to uses described elsewhere in this Statement, we may share information about you:
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf.
- With other sites that you choose, through links on the Site.
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process.
- In connection with, or in anticipation of, any merger, divestiture, consolidation, bankruptcy, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company, or other significant corporate event (in which case the acquiring entity will use the information pursuant to its own privacy policies and procedures, which we cannot anticipate and do not control).
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Services that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
- We may share aggregated/anonymized information that does not directly identify you, for commercial purposes.
What Is Our Legal Basis For Processing Information?
The laws in some jurisdictions require companies to tell you about the legal grounds that allow them to process or disclose your personal information. Where those laws apply, our legal grounds are:
- Legitimate interests: We sometimes process personal information because it furthers the legitimate interests of Hearing Out Loud in activities such as the ones listed below, and because that processing does not unduly impact your interests, rights, and freedoms:
- Facilitating education
- Providing customer service
- Analyzing and improving business activities
- Protecting business activities, individuals, and property (for example, protecting against abuse of our Services)
- Managing risks and legal issues
- Complying with our legal obligations
- Exercising or defending legal claims
- To honor our contractual commitments: Some of our information processing is necessary to meet our contractual obligations, or to take steps at a person's request because we are planning to enter into a contract with them. For example, when you purchase goods or services, we are relying on this basis.
- If the law requires consent, and in some other cases, we handle personal data on the basis of consent.
- If the law allows, we may be able to infer consent from the circumstances.
Access and Account Information
If you have established an account with us, you may update, correct, amend, or delete your personally identifiable information by editing your account information; you may also send requests for the same by contacting us at email@example.com, using DATA ACCESS REQUEST in the subject line. We may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
If you no longer wish to receive our communications about sales, special offers and/or content you may opt-out of receiving these communications by clicking "Unsubscribe" at the bottom of a newsletter or email. You may also change your emailed newsletter preferences in the “ACCOUNT" section of the Site.
Our platform service providers represent to us that they have implemented technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of the personal information we process, in accordance with industry norms for our type and size of business. People who try and bypass security systems, or "hackers," are often very skilled at breaking through security systems, though, and we cannot guarantee that the online environment is 100% secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, transmission of personal information to and from any service (including our Services) is done at your own risk. Only access the internet and our Services from a secure environment.
To the extent it is under our control: we store the information we collect for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) outlined in this Privacy Statement, unless applicable law requires us to keep it for a longer period of time. Information in copies made for backup and business continuity may remain for longer than the original data.
Other Data Protection Rights
The law of your jurisdiction may give you additional rights to make certain requests with respect to your personal data. This is the case, for example, for residents of the European Economic Area and Switzerland, and US jurisdictions with state-specific privacy rules. Perfect compliance with the laws of every jurisdiction is impossible. Our preference, however, is to treat requests from all users in a similar way, regardless of where they live, to the extent that doing so is practicable and legally feasible. If you believe we are not in compliance with the law of a particular jurisdiction that applies to you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, our information handling practices, or any other aspects of your privacy and the security of your information, please contact us at email@example.com.